Honorable Mention – Double Espresso Streusel Coffee Cake
Submitted by Tracy McBurney from The Villages, FL
Dessert: Decadent coffee vodka infused cake with a chocolate hazelnut topping
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup double espresso vodka
- 3 egg whites, beaten until stiff
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 sticks butter softened
- 3/4 cup chocolate hazelnut biscotti
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 1 1/2 pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, be patient…it may take a few minutes. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add flour mixture and milk alternately until combined.
- Mix in espresso powder and vodka. Do not over beat. Spread in a 9x13 baking pan.
- Whisk the biscotti in a food processor until fine.
- Combine the biscotti with the remaining topping ingredients with a pastry cutter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping on cake.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.