Honorable Mention – No Cream / No Cry Penne Ala Vodka
Submitted by Larry Dolan from The Villages, FL
Main Entrée: A much lighter version of the traditional dish. I’ve ditched the cream and made it so that you won’t want to cry the next day for having gorged all of the fat and carbs.
Ingredients (FOR 6)
- Chop 1 cup of fresh Basil
- Olive Oil
- 12 oz Whole–Wheat Penne Pasta (m)
- Tub # 1
- 2 Ѕ cups low-fat, sugar free Marinara Sauce
- Ѕ cup Kettle One Vodka
- tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Fresh ground Black Pepper
- (7.1 oz) container of 2% fat Greek-Style Yogurt
- Block of Parmesan Cheese
- Bring a pot of lightly salted and oiled Water to boil.
- Add the Pasta and cook until al dente- about 8 or 9 minutes.
- In the pan, over medium heat, add Tub # 1 and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes; until it is reduced and slightly thickened.
- Remove pan from the heat.
- In the small bowl, mix the yogurt with Ѕ cup of the Marinara mixture until smooth.
- Then whisk the yogurt mixture back into the pan with rest of the sauce.
- When the Pasta is cooked al dente, drain it and add to the pan when the sauce is done. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the Basil. Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Grate some Parmesan Cheese over the top.
- Serve Hot.